Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Straight to the head: Restoring an angel sculpture

Here is the angel piece I mentioned previously. This sculpture was from 1995. It actually came into being in a fit of anger. I had met a guy who felt my sculpting ability would be good in the home decor and garden world-although I had no interest in that sort of thing. The main trouble with that type of sculpture for me is that pieces are meant to blend into an environment, and I prefer things that stick out and draw attention. I never enjoyed the work. He had convinced me to do a couple of things for this market-but his mold making ability was poor, and the pieces ended up ruined. So I told him to vanish from my premises forever(he didnt) and decided to attempt a sculpture that I would do the mold for myself. So I decided on this. Not sure why--I think I wanted to test different kinds of sculptural themes--cherubish children were popular so I added a couple in to the space left vacant between the wings. A few years later I saw a photo of a small sculpture that was almost the same in post and concept(minus the children). I assume both I and the other artist saw the same source of inspiration(probably a painting).

It is a heavy piece and takes a lot of hydrostone to make. I have sold a few of them, but it just isn't practical due to the size and weight. I tried using epoxy clay to make a lightweight press of the sculpture-it worked better than I had hoped.

I planned to coat it with resin to give it a glossy look--but there was a chemical reaction with the paint and the faces of the man and woman were ruined. So I had to cut them out and replace with new heads that I created by doing another clay press.

I had to cut out the bad heads.

And put in the replacements.

I have to add some more clay and smooth it out so it appears seamless. Soon.

finished repair:

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating insights into the work process involved creating such a sculpture.